Blood and Specimen Collection Guidelines
The safety of our patients and TapLabs personnel is our top priority. To ensure a safe and succfessful appointment, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Patient must be a minimum of 10 years of age
- Patient must have a valid and complete requisition ordered by a physician
- Patient must have a valid Alberta Health Card and government identification such as a driver’s licence, passport, or birth certificate (Note: name on health card must match name specified on requisiton)
- Patient must wear a face mask for the duration of the appointment in accordance with TapLabs’ Covid-19 safetey protocols
- Patient must not be under the influence of alcholol, cannabais or illicit drugs
- Patient must abstain from smoking at least one hour prior to appointment
- Patient should keep well hydrated and drink plenty of water prior to collection to aid phlebotomist in successful blood draw
- Patient should eat light meal or snack prior to blood draw, unless test requires fasting
- Keep all pets and small children contained and clear of the collection area
- Keep collection area safe, clean, tidy and free from any hazardous materials
- Provide access to a comfortable chair, preferably with arm support support for blood draw and ensure you have a place to lie down if you have a history of fainting.
Appointment Refusal or Cancellation
Quick or Scheduled appointments may be refused or cancelled by the phlebotomist upon arrival to service address if, in the judgement of the phlebotomist, the collection area or conditions are deemed to be unsuitable, unsafe or hazardous.
Blood and Specimen Test Exclusions & Time Restrictions
TapLabs can collect the majority of tests specified on the Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL) General Requiestion. However, some tests CANNOT be collected due to time sensitivity or other logistical challenges.
The following tests CANNOT be collected by TapLabs, or must be collected before a certain time of day. Appointments made for any of the following excluded tests, or appointments made outside the allowable hours will be rejected and may be subject to cancellation fees:
- Glucose Tolerance and Glucose Tolerance Gestational
- Glucose Gestational Diabetes Screen (GDS)
- Lactose Tolerance
- Any 24 Hour Urine including Creatinine, Albium, Protein Electrophoresis-urine
Note: Random Urine Tests are acceptalbe
- FIT Colorectal Cancer Screening
- H Pylori
- Electrocardiogram (Cardiology Test)
- Transfusion Medicine
- Cortisol AM – Appointment must take place between 7:00 am and 10:00 am
- Cortisol PM – Appointment must take place between 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm
- Partial Thromboplastin Time PTT – Appointment must take place by 1:00 pm
Rush Blood and Urine Test
Tests marked as ‘RUSH’ or ‘STAT’ by a physician on a Requisition are urgent and must be dropped off at a laboratory immediately following collection. Accordingly, a surcharge will be applied to RUSH and STAT tests.